Thursday, May 1, 2014

{the love between a daughter and mother}

Not ten minutes ago, your little soul drifted off to sleep. You aren't the easiest child to put to bed.  Oh, no, you are not.  You won't stand to lie in bed alone, so either I or your dad(or often both, taking turns) must lie in bed with you until you're eyes close for the night.  Tonight, like many other nights lately it seems, you greeted me (when it was my turn) with a, "You're my favorite.  You're the best mom in the whole world. I love you."  Sofi, babe, you are truly my favorite.  Yes, there are a lot of nights you go to bed kicking and screaming. And yes, the battle of our wills takes place in this house on a daily basis. But then these moments where your soft little arms wrap around my neck or your warm hands grab my cheeks and you give me kiss after kiss after kiss- those are the moments I could live in forever.  The love between a mother and child is nothing I could ever describe or could have ever dreamed up on my own, but it truly is the most wonderful experience.  These sweet moments before your slumber are some of my very favorites.  If only I could bottle up this warm swelling feeling in my heart to take as medicine on those tougher days or to share with you someday so you could remember how very much we love each other.  So instead, I sit and write both to you and to me these memories in hopes that I may never forget the love between a daughter and her mother. Because, sweet girl, I love you more than you will ever know.  Good night, sweetheart.