Friday, August 19, 2011

{grad clinc 2}

Today was your second NICU grad clinic appointment. We met with the dietitian and occupational therapist to check your growth and development.

You are still quite small, but overall your growth is consistent on your growth graph so we will continue to work on solids and adding a bit more supplementation to boost your calories. Grow, grow, grow!

After only getting through a small portion of your physical assessment, we had to stop because you were so upset. You really don't like being pushed to do anything you don't want to. The occupational therapist said that you had some tightness in the right side of your neck. This is called torticollis. You have always favored your left side, but whether that is the result or the cause of the torticollis is anyone's guess at this point. So, much to your dismay, we now do some neck stretches with every diaper change in hopes of stretching and lengthening those muscles in the right side of your neck.

She also stated that your overall muscle tone was low (something common in preemies), so we are also going to be giving you a foot and leg massage with olive oil every night before your bath to help those muscles. I wasn't really sure how you would like this since you scream when I put lotion on your legs, but you are surprisingly calm and sometimes even laugh during your massage.

Lastly, your head has gotten quite flat on the left side in the past month. I had a feeling that we were going to have to get a helmet to help mold your head back to its former round glory, but secretly hoped that this glimpse of "normalcy" we had been experiencing over the past month (sans tubes on your sweet face) would just mean that your head would fix itself. When the occupational therapist suggested that we really get a helmet for your head, I don't know what came over me. Sadness. Fear. Frustration. All of it, I suppose, for I just sat there with tears streaming down my face. Always one more thing. Would you believe I didn't shed even one tear at the cardiologist last month, but cried the entire ride home over a silly helmet? Yes, your mom is one giant baby. I didn't say I was always logical. Sometimes my emotions get the best of me. My head was telling me that the helmet was necessary and so important so you could grow up looking like a normal kid. Like your OP said: "We want her to be able to go to kindergarten with no one knowing she was ever in the NICU." So, so true. I would feel terrible if you went to school with a flat head. Not to mention, a helmet is nothing in comparison to having been told you would never even live. No big, right? Who am I to complain? Well, I think I let my hopes get the best of me that day. So sad that you would have yet another uncomfortable something on your body and quite frankly, a bit scared and frustrated knowing all the tears and sleepless nights that would be sure to follow from both of us. Anyway, I feel much more peaceful about it now. You won't remember that helmet and you won't even have to wear it very long. There will be plenty of time for bows and headbands the rest of your life. And while I still feel so sad at the thought of the discomfort I am sure you will feel, I know a round head will be worth it in the end. Everything is going to be great! No more complaints from me!

It was recommended that we see a physical therapist to help with all of these things and she is supposed to be fantastic. I am excited to meet her and get all the help we need so your body can develop its very best. More on that in two weeks!

Next week will be your appointment with the cardiologist, so more on that sweet heart of yours to come!

Lots of progress and helpful things today.
We are so lucky to have so many smart people helping us to help you.

I love you, sweet girl.