What a busy week we've had. And an exciting one at that!
We moved across town into a bigger space for our little family, worked a ton, and got your car seat and crib. All the essentials to bring you home. We can hardly wait!
But today was a really big day for you. You have been down to 4 liters of oxygen for the last few days and we have been trying to nurse non-nutritionally. Today that doctor decided that we could turn down your flow to 2 liters while actually trying to nurse so that you would be able to swallow. Essentially, at the higher flow of 4 liters and up, it would be like trying to drink while running or sticking your head out of a moving car. To do this, your feeding tube was taken out of your mouth and put through your nose. Sounds weird, right? But such an awesome step! We tried to nurse this afternoon and you were in total bliss. Life is amazing. The very idea that you are naturally able to figure out how to eat just gets me thinking.
Tonight I held you as we snuggled close. That is my very favorite thing to do. I hope you love to snuggle for a long time. As I put your back into your crib and was tucking you in, your nurse and I were talking. We both started laughing pretty hard when we noticed you just laying in bed, smiling so big. You knew we were laughing! I think it's incredible that you have this innate sense of emotions. I just can't get over it. Unfortunately I was too slow to snap a picture of your giant smile, but I can promise you that I am going to be ready next time. Just you wait!