Friday, December 3, 2010

{tube time}

When we were putting you back into your isolette, the tube that goes into your lungs either went in too deep (we are talking millimeters here...you are so small) or came out too far which affected your vitals and caused you not to get the air you needed. You were spitting up a lot which probably made things a little more difficult. Dr. Carroll, the respiratory therapist, and two more nurses quickly came to the call and replaced your tube. It took seven minutes from beginning to end. I have to admit, my heart dropped to the pit of my stomach and since I didn't understand all that was going on at the moment, I froze in panic. Sofi, my love, I thought I might lose you then and there and the thought scared me to death. Your awesome nurse explained what was happening and that it was easily remedied. Your dad was awesome and just held my hand. Dr. Carroll did mention that in those moments when they used a hand-held manual respirator your vitals were excellent. He said this was incredibly encouraging because the next step after your respirator would act similar to that, and that your positive reaction (your vitals) meant you would probably handle that really well when the time comes. That is a very good thing!

Later that night when we came in to do cares, your tube moved again. The nurse and respiratory therapist acted quickly and all was quickly fixed. For some reason, I froze with fear again and couldn't handle watching the process. I promise I will work on this so I can be a better mom. Your dad handled it calmly and was just amazing.

I have to say that you really have great people taking care of you, and I feel so lucky to know that they are doing all the things for you that I can't. I love you, Sofi. More than anything in the world. See you in the morning, love. We miss you already.